Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Your Input Is Needed!!!!

So, I told you all that I recently got certified to teach Zumba.  I have been working on routines and thinking about developing classes.  The Zumba market in our area is kinda saturated so I definitely need something to set myself apart.  I also really want to reach out to the folks who are where I was 3 yrs ago.

Also, I just read this post by Megan at Big Bottom Banded.

With all that being said, one of the Memphis bariatric surgeons has recently opened a satellite office in my town.  When I finally do decide to pursue teaching my own Zumba classes, I have given thought to maybe working with them to offer to teach a class for their new WLS patients.

SOOOOO...... here is my question(s).

Would it make a difference to you if you knew that your fitness instructor was a WLS patient??  

Would you have felt more confident starting to exercise in a group format if your instructor had WLS??  

Or if your class was for WLS patients only??  


I REALLY want  need your feedback/input on this, even if it is only a couple of words.

Pretty please, help a sistruh??

13 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. And, yes.

    I think that is an AWESOME idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great idea too! As a WLS person I would feel way more comfy in a room full of there like me rather than in a room full of hard bodies. Seeing myself in the mirror with them I would feel uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! To everything! I wish they had something like that here! :) I think it's a wonderful idea! I agree with ^ being in a room full of hard bodies is tough... but being in a room full of WLS patients would be so comfortable. They can have hard bodies, the difference is they KNOW where I came from because they have been there so it would make me comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gym has specialized classes specifically for WLS patients an dI loved it. The group of us bonded over our experiences and no one felt intimidated by anyone. So I would think a Zumba class geared toward WLS patients would have that feeling. Just try not to "dumb it down" because of it though. Not saying you would... but one of my favorite things about zumba is the excellent workout and the challenge.

    You are going to do amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would love it. I would still want to know I was doing the real class and not a fatty version of the class but I would be much less self conscious in a class led by a WLS sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely love it if I went to a WLS fitness class. Never having really attended one because I'm scared I'm too jiggly... I feel like I'd really fit in there!

    I feel like asking some of the surgical offices in your town if they'd advertise your (future) classes would be an awesome idea, too. I bet they'd love to help you out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a GREAT idea! I definatly would feel more comfortable this those that had been in my shoes. I'm so glad I found your blog! Good luck!!

    bandwithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all of the above. This white girl needs all the help she can get since she has absolutely no rhythm lol. I would feel so self conscious about myself if everyone else had gone through the same struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome idea! It was really nerve wracking to feel like every eye in the gym was on me when I started, I felt like the token 'fat chick.'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Idea...I would totally feel more comfortable if I knew my instructor had WLS. How inspiring to those of us still learning how to do the steps to know that you made it through the struggle of learning a new exercise when you were just beginning your fitness journey. DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, yes and yes....There's a WLS patient who advertises personal training through newsletter my WLS's office and I think more about hiring him than I do anyone else because he understands the struggle of losing weight. I think you would be doing a great service.

    ReplyDelete