Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Now You're Cookin'!!!!!

We have oodles of new Bandsters in our ranks now and one of the BIGGEST concerns they keep expressing is "What can I eat now??" or "I am eating the same things, I'm bored!!". 

Getting a band doesn't mean that tasty food is a thing of the past.  It's easy to get into a food rut, so I am trying to be more conscious of being more well rounded in my food choices.  

Several days ago, Stephanie at Electric Ladyband posted an interesting recipe for 


I decided that I would give it a spin this weekend.  Here are the results.  


I did take Stephanie's advice and added 1 can of Corn and 1 can of Black Beans. It added a little extra nutrition, texture and just the right amount of bulk.  

Since I had a wicked case of the "tights" this weekend I wanted my batch to be a smidgen more on the "soupy" side so I opted to use BOTH  Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom.  

This recipe is VERY versatile especially if you are feeding bandsters and non-bandsters. (For non-bandsters pour over rice or, even better, over quinoa.)  It can also be modified for mushies by a spin through the blender.  

Garnish with a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for just a little more protein.  

It's Yum-stastical!!!!!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for my newest creation.  

The Hubs and I have eaten A LOT of chicken lately-- seriously, it's a wonder we're not clucking by now.  

So last night I decided that dinner had to be ANYTHING but chicken.  

I thawed out some ground beef and mixed in some Dale's Marinade and Ranch Dressing Mix*. 

*Side note:  If you have never used Ranch Mix --- GET SOME!!!  (Don't bother with the packets get the big jar pictured below) I love me some ranch dressing but dowsing everything I eat in Ranch can add lots of extra cals so I use the powder to give me Ranch dressing flavor without Ranch dressing calories.  It's great for seasoning meats but I also add it to Cottage Cheese or Plain Greek Yogurt.  Good Ranchy protein with less calories- win/win!!!!  


Anywayse, I decided I wanted to add some veggie action to my beef so I thawed some frozen chopped spinach (squeeze out all the liquid)  and mixed that in with the beef.  I also sprinkled in some Parmesan cheese.  

Form the beef into patties, and put them into a heated oven safe skillet for about 2 mins on each side (until the lightly browned)  then transfer to the oven and bake for another 25-30 mins at 350 F degrees.  

And voila!!  Parmesan Spinach Burgers (I melted a little Gouda on top too!) 

These aren't as pretty bc they had been in the fridge overnight. They are much prettier straight from the oven.  
It's your meat AND veggies in one juicy, tasty package!!  You can put them on a bun or just eat the patty (which is what we did).  

BTW, I am terrible at writing out recipes that I have made up so if you have any questions just leave them in the comments.  












6 comments:

  1. Oh my, I LOVE that ranch seasoning. I go through a whole bottle every month or two. *shameful!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yummy! As I am here in the great state of Texas and we use Ranch as ketchup I will have to try it! You made me lick the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that Ranch seasoning before. Thanks for sharing.

    Those burgers look awesome to me. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always on the look out for new stuff to try. Thanks for these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drooling over my keyboard right now AJ. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it! I'm making a variation on that dish today with ground turkey...I'll share if it comes out tasty.

    ReplyDelete