Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mouth Fitness!!!

For reals, y'all!!!  Some of you may or may not know, I love teeth.  In my professional life I am a dental hygienist.  One of the best parts of what I do is torturing defenseless people with sharp, pokey things educating folks about how to improve their oral health. (Actually, I am kinda like a personal trainer - only for teeth and gums.)  So hold on to your sports bras because Imma about to drop some knowledge.


February is a big month in the dental world!! 

Whether your baby is 2 legged or 4 legged, 
here are some videos for how to keep your baby's teeth healthy.

For Kids:  


For Pets: 


Sorry, no activity sheets for the pups and kitties -- if they are like mine, they would just eat them! :)


Now, let's talk about YOUR oral health 
National Dental Hygiene Month is a few months away but there's no time like now to improve your health and that includes your mouth.  


DO YOU FLOSS??  
I know, you're like, "Really? It's not enough I have to go to the gym everyday, now I gotta floss everyday too?!?!?!?" 

Fight Gum Disease!!!!
BRUSH AND FLOSS for total oral health!!!  

They are like the Cardio and Weights of oral health.  
Much like Cardio and Weights, by themselves, they are definitely a step in the right direction but it takes the combination of both to get maximum health results.  

DID YOU KNOW? 

Healthy Gums Do Not Bleed

If your gums bleed when your brush or floss that is the one the first signs of early gum disease (aka gingivitis).  It doesn't matter if bleeding is in one area or all over the mouth - healthy gums don't bleed.  

Studies Have Linked Gum Disease and Cardiovascular Disease

Poor oral health contribute to chronic inflammation throughout the body. This chronic inflammation can contribute to or worsen heart disease, clogged arteries, and/or high blood pressure.  

Good Oral Health Can Reduce Your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

While gum disease doesn't necessarily cause Type 2 Diabetes, it can increase your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes if you currently possess other risk factors such as obesity, genetics, PCOS, sedentary lifestyle.  

Likewise, if you currently suffer from Type 2 Diabetes, poor oral health and/or gum disease can make it even more difficult to manage the Diabetes, since inflammation related to gum disease can affect how the body reacts to insulin and blood sugar levels.  

The flip side of this is that individuals with Type 2 Diabetes are more susceptible to developing gum disease, which makes good oral hygiene even more essential.  

HOW TO FLOSS PROPERLY


  1. Wrap the ends of an 18" to 24" section of floss around your middle fingers.
  2. Hold the floss between your thumbs and forefingers. Leave about 1" of floss between your hands.
  3. Gently work the floss between your teeth. Do not 'pop' the floss forcefully. When you reach the gumline, curve into a "C" shape around the tooth, making sure to go below the gumline.
  4. Gently glide the floss up and down several times between each tooth, including your back teeth. Apply pressure against the tooth while flossing. Unwind new floss as needed.
*** If you are new to flossing do not be alarmed if your gums bleed or are sore at first. (It's just like being sore after a new workout!) It will go away with continued daily flossing as the health and condition of your gums improves.  



5 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you posted this today because I have a dentist appointment for a cleaning in an hour! I was a dental assistant for about six years, so I'm a little fanatic about my teeth as well. On another note, I'm going to a seminar tonight on the band. I've been to one before, but taking my husband this time so he can get a better understanding of it. I have an appointment with the psychologist, dietician, and physical therapist on the 28th to get things rolling! Wish me lucki! Thank you for your wonderful blog :) Kerri W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kerri!! I appreciate you taking time to check out my little corner of the Interwebs. Congrats on starting your your Band journey. I think taking your husband is a great idea. You will be experiencing lots of new things as your body and mind changes into the "new you". The more he understands about the process the better.

    Best of luck! Come back a visit again. If you have questions, I am happy to help. Also, (If you haven't already) check out several of the other blogs around too. Everyone's journey varies a little and it's always good to find a kindred spirit. Plus, this community is extremely supportive and that's something you can never have too much of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really weird in that I LOVE to floss.... but I still don't do it often enough!

    You're inspired me, I am getting up and going to floss now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say that I floss every day (because that would just be a big ole fat lie) but I do floss several times a week. I HATE going to the dentist. You would die if I even dared to tell you how long I once went without going to even get a cleaning (so I won't tell ya) :)

    ReplyDelete