Monday, February 20, 2012

Make a List Monday

Courtesy of Robyn
List your top 10 Books/Authors

As general rule, I don't read.  When I say, "I don't read", I mean I don't sit down with a book or my iPad and physically read words.  Reading has a TREMENDOUSLY calming/relaxing effect on me, as in I am incapable of reading more than about 3 pages without falling asleep.  This makes it pretty difficult to keep up with a plot.  I am also not the kind of person who can sit down with a book and "let the world fall away." Even if I could plow through a good book without zonking out, I would never be able to ignore the dishes in the sink or the laundry in the hallway long enough to let me enjoy it.  I do, however, really enjoy book and being moderately well read.  

So what is a sleep prone, Type A, multi-tasking crazy person like me to do??  Audiobooks.  I love audiobooks. They are the best of both worlds for me.  I get to enjoy books while still being able to get my day to day chores/tasks completed.  In fact, I am even more productive when I listen to audiobooks since I have, on more than one occasion, been so into one of my audiobooks that I actually looked for something to do around the house just so I can keep listening to my audiobook.  

I have acquired my audiobooks in a bunch of different ways.  I used to check them out from the library and the restaurant chain Crac*ker Bar*rel has pretty okay rental program, but the digital age has vastly increased my access to good audiobooks.  Until a little while ago I used an online audiobook rental service that worked a lot like Netflix.  I recently abandoned them for a new online service that provides streaming audiobooks straight to my computer, iPad, and iPhone.  

I tend lean toward crime/legal/mystery fiction.  I also gravitate toward series novels, I just really enjoy getting into the long term development of a character.  


1) Michael Connelly - The Harry Bosch series.  If you haven't ever read these, I highly encourage you to start from the beginning.  Harry Bosch is an awesome character that has developed a great deal over time.
This was the first book of his I ever read.
I still thank my Modern Crime Lit professor everytime I read one of Connelly's books.
2) Michael Connelly - The Micky Haller series. As the Bosch series starts to come to a close (I think), Connelly is shifting his focus to Haller. Still a great character.

3) Brad Thor-  The Scott Harvath series.  Also, The Athena Project. Counterterrorism, espionage, black ops.  Love it!!

4) Vince Flynn-  The Mitch Rapp series.  Also in the counterterrorism. black ops vein.

5) Robert Crais- The Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series. Crime/detective fiction.

6) Janet Evanovich- Stephanie Plum series. I haven't seen the new movie, mainly because I have hot/cold feelings on Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum.

7) Linda Fairstein- The Alexandra Cooper series.  Legal/crime fiction.

8) Kathy Reichs- The Temperance Brennan series.  These are the novels that spawned the TV show "Bones" but that is where the connection ends.  The only commonality is that both are centered on a forensic anthropologist named Tempe Brennan.  The supporting characters in the books and show are totally different.  Even the character of Tempe Brennan is totally different in the books and the show.  I really enjoy both individually.


9) James Patterson- Alex Cross, Women's Murder Club, Michael Bennett.  Patterson is my brain candy.  He churns out, like, 40 books a year largely because he utilizes co-authors.  The stories are pretty good. They are definitely in the "easy read" column.


10) Random Chick Lit - Jennifer Weiner, Sophie Kinsella, Lauren Weisberger.
I like the modern, funny, chick lit.  It has to funny, bouncy and light.  Basically it has to romantic comedy in written form.  I don't do overly flowery, dramatic romance.  The first time the author seriously uses the terms "quivering loins" and/or "turgid member" I am done, tag me out.

3 comments:

  1. What is the online audiobook site? I love to listen to books in the car but it is too expensive for me to buy them.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 & 6 are difinately on my list. I love those two :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At one point in my early 20's I'd read almost every single James Patterson book out there. Love him.

    ReplyDelete