Thursday, December 29, 2011

Word Up!!! 2012 Style

Since all the cool kids* are doing it, I wanted to play along with choosing my word for 2012.
Speck, Rockband BarbieAndrea, Gator Girl, Ronnie, VickyD, Dawnya, LapBandGal

But first, take a listen to this little gem, and just try to keep your ass in your seat -- I dare you. 



You couldn't do it, could you?  Now that errbody got their exercise, let's get wordy.  

My word for 2012 is:  Refine 

refine [rɪˈfaɪn]   vb
  • to make or become free from impurities; purify
  • to improve (upon) by making subtle or fine distinctions
  • to make or become free from coarse characteristics; make or become elegant or polished** 

 ** The 3rd definition will be ignored --  I am anything but polished or elegant and I can give up many things but my 'coarse characteristics' are not negotiable.

I am nothing short of stunned and amazed at the improvements I have made in my life in the almost 2 years since I got my band.  There are times when I really can't believe it especially considering that this time last year I wondered if I was gonna be a LapBand fail.  I had lost around 40 lbs and I was 3 months into a 6 month plateau.   I spent a couple months worrying that I was gonna be one of the people who lost a few pounds but never got anywhere near anything that resembled a goal. 

I had taken a trip to Crazytown.  Fortunately, thanks to The Hubs' refusal to let me wallow, it was only a vacation not a full blown relocation.  It took me some time to get my head "right" when it came to my goals. 

When I started this journey, I couldn't fathom a world where I weighed less than 140 lbs, (incidentally, this is what I would need to weigh to have a normal BMI). I just told myself that if I could get below 200 lbs, that would be fine.  I also told myself that if I could shop in regular stores, that would be fine.  I told myself that if I could just exercise a few days a week, that would be fine.   This year I managed to meet all these goals this year and it was fine --- for a minute. 

Then I started to reconsider what I thought was just fine.  The scale didn't stop moving when I hit 199 lbs so I thought "Maybe losing 100 lbs is more doable than I thought?" so I set my sights on the century mark. (BTDubs, I am 5.8lbs away from this goal at this moment.)   I didn't fall out when I added my 4th, 5th....8th Zumba class to my weekly workout schedule so I thought, "Maybe I could be all fitness-y and stuff?" so I am getting focused on running.  

I will admit I had hoped to have reached the 100 lbs lost goal by the end of this year, but it's okay that I most likely won't [unless I am plagued with the stomach flu between now and Saturday   --- Oh please, Lawd, know that I am kidding].  But when I reconsidered where I am with this goal I decided that this most definitely IS  fine -- know why?    Because I spent November moving/unpacking my new house then December was Christmas Craziness and in the midst of this I managed to lose/keep off 8 lbs all while enjoying Christmas tidings without emotional food turmoil.  

I still want to see a 100 lb loss and I have a sneaking suspicion that when that goal is met I will reconsider what is fine for me.....again. I can finally wrap my brain around a world with a 140 lb me in it [whether I will choose to pursue that goal remains to be seen, but it no longer seems like some alternate reality universe a la Fringe]. 

I already feel like I am LapBand success.  I am content with my weight loss and my accomplishments.  I can be happy here -- but I want to refine.   I want to take something that is good and make it just a little bit better. I want to modify habits that are already so much healthier and make them even healthier-er.  I want to continue to change small things that add up to an even more purified, fantastic version of something that is already pretty great.   

As I move through this year, I want to reconsider what is fine then refine it to its very best. 







8 comments:

  1. Fantastic word and goal for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! Wonderful word and a great outlook to have on the upcoming year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post and your word. I am just below the 200 mark and at a cross-roads. thanks for letting me know I CAN DO THIS and get the entire way to goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the re- and -fines througout the post! I am blonde so it took me a minute! LOL

    You've done fantastic on your journey - and I really hope to one day find a workout that I love as much as you love your zumba! I know it will make a world of difference in my consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your word...and you were already one of the "cool" kids :) Word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the post, love the song, love the word! You got this! Word Up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of the cool kids...yes! ;) Love the word choice...so fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great word, and you were right... I couldn't keep my butt in my chair while watching the video! LOL

    ReplyDelete