Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Very NSV Christmas

Christmas is D-U-N, done!

The circumstances with my Granddad aside, Christmas was pretty good.  We spent Christmas Eve with the Hub's extended family and then Christmas Day with my in-laws. I got the gel nail polish kit I have been lusting after.  Plus,  I got some really great clothing pieces and I got a new winter coat which I desperately needed.  Xmas NSV #1- I am finally wearing Misses size clothes verily and truly (Most tops I wear Large, even a Medium from time to time and pants I am still rocking the Misses 14) which means that friends and family are no longer scared to give me clothing gifts.  They can give me clothes and there is a pretty good chance it's gonna fit.  

My MIL pulled off the biggest Christmas coup this year by getting iPads for myself, the Hubs, and his sister.  We totes thought we were the Christmas badasses by getting her a Kindle Fire.  I think my MIL was just was pretty stoked to see her 30+ yr old kids running around the house like this:



This Christmas was our first truly financially secure Christmas in a very long time.  This was the first year that I felt able to purchase and give gifts without stressing and panicking and freaking out--- it was very nice.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't go all Oprah's favorite things and buy for every person I have ever met. We still kept most of our non-immediate family gift giving to homemade treats and trinkets. I want them to know that I am thinking of them but I don't want to create a situation where everyone feels obligated to spend money and buy stupid stuff just because.  I feel that gift giving gets really out of hand really fast in many cases if someone isn't willing to set some boundaries.  I think Sheldon explains the stresses of gift giving quite well in the video.




The food/eating/band situation was equally good, also no stressing, panicking, and freaking out. Xmas NSV #2- For the first time in my life I don't feel disordered about food and eating --- even when I am not 100% bandster perfect, especially when I am not 100% bandster perfect.  I have become weirdly zen and rational about my eating habits and that, in and of itself, is the best Christmas gift ever.

I ate basically whatever I wanted and how much I wanted (I mean, within the limits of the band of course.)  BTDubs--am I the only one who has noticed how many traditional Southern Christmas foods are particularly slider-riffic!!     That being said -- I ate too much. Not only did I eat quite a lot-- it was all creamy, starchy, mushie, buttered, sweet, deliciousness.  But guess what?!?!?!   I didn't feel guilty or bad or beat myself up. Just because I know this is not my everyday diet; this was a special occasion.  Pretty much all of the foods that I indulged in are only consumed once a year.  

I did start to "feel icky" yesterday but it wasn't the emotional "I am such a horrible bandster and I hate myself for eating all that"  icky it was actual physical icky ---which was great too because it was my body saying "Okay, I love dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and Oreo casserole as much as you do but, seriously, lady I think we are done --  can I get a chicken breast with some broccoli?"  Xmas NSV #3-  I have been living on healthful, nutritious food long enough that my body actually craves it and I can tell the difference when I don't get it.  


One of my major goals when I started my LapBand journey was to whip my attitude into as good of shape as my ass.  While I am definitely pleased with the progress my ass has made--- my attitude is 10x better.

6 comments:

  1. AJ, you are reading my mind, gurl!! I am hoping to get to your weirdly zen place soon, but it's so true, this is literally food I ONLY eat once a year. If it takes a few days to cycle through the leftovers, well, it's not a big deal, because once it's gone, it's gonzo....sounds like you had an awesome Christmas - nad I LOVE that clip from Despicable me...SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift your MIL gave you!!! I love my IPAD! Sounds like you had a great Christmas...with great NSV's!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great Christmas filled with NSVs!!!

    That's awesome about the iPad! I'm curious about the gel nail polish. I've really wanted to do that myself, but haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many great NSVs there! I hear you completely on the craving healthy food front. I am right there with you. I'm having a gyro salad today for lunch and I can't wait! LOL! Amazing the mental changes we make,eh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oreo. CASSEROLE. ?????????

    PLEASE do tell! LOL

    ReplyDelete