Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The View From The Wagon


I hope at least one of you "gets" this picture.  (And if you haven't fallen down the Loldogs rabbit hole, you totally should.)  Just a few quick thoughts for today.

Speaking of wagons----I have managed to shed 2 of the 6lbs that I brought back from my road trip which is definitely a step in the right direction.  You know how I mentioned that I hit the treadmill yesterday instead of Zumba in an effort to pseudo-train for my 5k in a couple weeks? Sweet Jiminy Fart Noodles!!!!!  I am so sore.  I think that after 3 mos of really going hard after Zumba that perhaps my body had actually developed some conditioning and stamina to those types of movements.  It would seem that doing a 5k on the treadmill yesterday forced me to not only be intensively active after a week of no exercise, but to wake up some muscle groups that had been dormant for a while.  I had thought that I might try to do it again today, but when I woke up this morning my legs said "BITCH PLEASE!! YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!!"  

Plus, I did some reading last night about running/jogging and the dangers of over training too much, too fast.  I like the idea of being able to comfortably run a reasonable distance. You know, in case I ever get chased by lions, tigers, or bears (Oh my!!).  If you think that sounds crazy- read this!!   However, at this time in my fitness journey, I don't see myself turning into a serious, hard core runner.  The last thing I wanna do is get too jiggy with the jogging and end up injuring myself in such a way that I am unable to workout at all.   So am gonna try for an every other day approach with the jogging.    

I will also say that this will teach me to skip a week at the gym---- I feel like I am starting over.  I am so stiff and sore and tired.   I am also very "nommy". (This is the term that The Hubs and I use to describe 'head hunger' or the desire to eat for any reason other than legit hunger. You know, when you just want to grab some food and go "Nom, nom, nom" all over it??)    

All that being said, it was so crazy to see myself in the mirror at my gym today.  10 days ago I was at my lowest weight and when I saw myself in the same mirror--- I didn't see myself as thinner or leaner. Today I am up 4 lbs from that low weight, but somehow I am seeing myself in the mirror and I am totally seeing a thinner, leaner version of myself.  Seriously, WTF? 


I also want to shout out to Mari, Jessica, and Alicia, the new Bandsters!!  I am so happy that you guys had successful surgeries and are healing up nicely.  (If I forgot anyone out there who was recently banded-- please let me know.)  My best piece of advice for starting out is to not put too much pressure on your self to lose 'X' amount of weight in 'X' number of months.  It's understandable to want to make as much progress as quickly as possible but just remember---you have your whole life with this band ahead of you. This is a journey not a destination!!


---AJ---

4 comments:

  1. I've noticed that Zumba, the treadmill, stair climber, spinning...they all use different muscles which is why I think it's good to vary your workouts. Even though they might feel like full body workouts, there's always a muscle missing. LOL.

    Great advice for new bandsters and even old ones. Weight specific goals make me feel like a failure but fitness related ones make me feel like I'm making progress. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how it seems to take your brain longer to catch up with your body's weight loss. I don't ever see myself being a long distance runner, but who knows. I think as long as your are getting good exercise in it doesn't matter what it is. I would like to be able to do a 5K though.

    Thanks for the shout out for my sister and the other new bandsters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the shout out! Even though you working aching and sore, well done you for not letting one week of missed gym time, turn into a month! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new favorite machine in the elliptical. Totally low impact, maybe try that a couple times a week instead of jogging, if you can? :)

    ReplyDelete