Sunday, October 16, 2011

As It Turns Out, I'm Kind of a Big Deal......(For a Big Girl)

Of course you guys already knew that!!  *wink*

Yesterday was one of those "I totally rocked this Lap Band thing" kinda days.  I worked out hard and I ate properly and followed all my Band rules (and even turned myself around from getting a Salted Caramel Mocha).  So long story short....it felt good!!

I got an unusual opportunity yesterday morning to do back to back Zumba classes with my fave instructor, Maggie.  Maggie was subbing the 9am Zumba class at the gym I currently go to along with teaching her regular 10:30am class at the gym I used to go to.  She texted me the other day to let me know she was subbing my 9am class and invited me to "party crash" with her at the other gym.  Maggie is my favorite Zumba instructor because her classes are INTENSE and her dances are AWESOME!

This is where it gets funny.  When we got to the 10:30am class she starting bragging on me for doing the 2 classes back to back with her.  Then everybody in the class started "Ooohing" and "Ahhhing" like they were totally impressed.  After the class, several women came up to me and kept going on and on about me doing 2 classes.  It was simultaneously flattering and weird at the same time.  The weird part was that they were acting like I just scaled Mt. Everest with one hand tied behind my back. Even weirder is that these women are in really good shape--  they are really thin and athletic. (This is at the gym that I left because it was a little too much of a muscle factory).  The just kept saying things like, "OMG, I don't know how you did it.....I could never do 2 Zumba classes in a row!!"

Don't get me wrong I was flattered and it's awesome when someone recognizes that you are busting your ass.  However, here is the thing.......I regularly take multiple Zumba classes a day. I have been for the past 6 weeks or so.  It is one of the reasons I changed my gym membership--more Zumba with better teachers.    There are at least 3 days a week that I take more than one Zumba class in a day.  In fact, the days I only do one class are my days when I "take it easy." While I know that most people don't do 2-3 Zumba classes a day (I am now learning that most of my fellow Zumba classmates barely do 2-3 classes a week), it never occurred to me that it was quite the big deal that these ladies were making it out to be.  I haven't made many friends in my classes so I have never really discussed my work out schedule to anyone.

So I have to wonder is it really such a big deal or is it a big deal because of my size?  I mean, even with an 80 lb loss I am still one of the bigger women in my classes.  Would these ladies be making such a fuss if I weighed 130 lbs?  I have gotten those kind of backhanded compliments before. When I started taking my Ballet class, Maggie (who also teaches Ballet)  kept marveling at my range of flexibility.  Even though I knew that she was being sincere and in no way intended to be insulting, I couldn't help but think that there was an unspoken "....for a big girl" that was hanging off her compliment.  

I wonder if I am still a bit too sensitive.  I have become much better at accepting compliments and praise (the key is to just say Thank-you) but I have to admit that I am still a smidgen suspicious of them. It still walk away analyzing them from every angle.

So what are you guy's experience?  Have you gotten this before?  Am I being too sensitive about the "back handedness" of these compliment?


5 comments:

  1. That's more than kind of a big deal..it's huge! I hope to one day just be able to make it through 1 class. I am super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo amazed that you can do that! Right now I would be thrilled to be able to get through ONE class - you are my HERO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh you sound like me! Over thinking those compliments! Just take em! You should be proud of yourself. I am in great shape and there is no way in hell I could take two zumba classes in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't over think it, just blush and say thank you! :)

    Besides, you've lost 81 lbs... you're obviously doing SOMETHING right to deserve all that praise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there is backhandedness in this one. I found that when my skinnier friends have done Zumba with me, they're huffing and puffing by the end and I'm feeling pretty good. I think they're just genuinely impressed.

    ReplyDelete